Allen's Sweets Sign Colour Print
Allen's SWEETS Sign Colour Print
Between the mid 1950’s and early 80’s this Allen’s SWEETS sign was one of Melbourne's most animated and colourful large scale neon signs. The sign was situated where Southbank is now, and you could see it from most platforms on Flinders Street Station
This neon sign was approximately 30 metres wide and 12 metres high, and its animation cycle went for around 30 seconds. It would illuminate Allen’s SWEETS, then ‘Cool, Cool, Koolmints', or 'Anticol Cough Drops', with animated Anticol lollies coming out of the packet.
There was also an animated firework effect, where a stream of lights as shown in the design would trail up and over until a neon firework exploded into different colours and alternating colours would also rain down.
The distinctive look of Harper and Charlie’s art is inspired by vintage printmaking techniques, such as the use of coarse halftone screens, slipped registrations, colour bleed, scuffs and scratches etc which add to the look and feel of each design. Please note these elements have been applied to the art on purpose and are not printing defects in the final design.
- Our design is printed on premium grade Ilford 180 gsm matte paper with commercial grade pigment inks.
- The total print size as specified in the product listing includes the shown border around the design as part of the finished image. Please note, the width of the border on each design varies with each print size.
- All images shown on this site are for illustrative purposes only, and frames are not supplied with product orders.
- Prints or stationery items that are A4 size or less will be supplied carefully packaged and sent in a flat pack.
- Larger size prints will be rolled up in a protective layer of paper and packaged and sent in heavy gauge postage tubes.
© Harper and Charlie 2020. All rights reserved.
Ownership and copyright of all images and intellectual property remains with Harper and Charlie www.harperandcharlie.com