Aqua Profonda, Fitzroy Swimming Pool Colour Print
'Aqua Profonda' Sign, Fitzroy Swimming Pool colour print.
The ‘sort of’ famous “AQUA PROFONDA’ sign at the Fitzroy Swimming Pool in Melbourne. This c.1954 hand-painted sign is listed on the heritage register for its social and historical significance due to its association with Australia’s post-war migration program. The sign was originally installed as an initiative of the pool manager who was constantly rescuing migrant children from the deep end of the pool.
The sign also achieved iconic status with its appearance in the famous 1977 Helen Garner novel Monkey Grip and the subsequent film.
The feel, colours, detail and composition in this illustration were inspired quite a lot by the work of the brilliant precisionist Australian artist, the late Jeffrey Smart. I tried to imagine how he may have looked at it and possibly approached it, it is also why I decided to add the single, bright red and white lifebuoy to a somewhat plain, pedestrian wall and industrial, static background. He always threw in something obscure, quirky or ironic in his paintings.
Harper and Charlie’s 'Aqua Profonda' sign print at the Fitzroy Swimming Pool in Melbourne is original in its concept and design.
The distinctive look of Harper and Charlie’s art is inspired by vintage printmaking techniques, such as the use of coarse halftone screens, slipped registrations, colour bleed, scuffs and scratches etc which add to the look and feel of each design. Please note these elements have been applied to the art on purpose and are not printing defects in the final design.
- Our design is printed on premium grade Ilford 180 gsm matte paper with commercial grade pigment inks.
- The total print size as specified in the product listing includes the shown border around the design as part of the finished image. Please note, the width of the border on each design varies with each print size.
- All images shown on this site are for illustrative purposes only, and frames are not supplied with product orders.
- Prints or stationery items that are A4 size or less will be supplied carefully packaged and sent in a flat pack.
- Larger size prints will be rolled up in a protective layer of paper and packaged and sent in heavy gauge postage tubes.
© Harper and Charlie 2020. All rights reserved.
Ownership and copyright of all images and intellectual property remains with Harper and Charlie www.harperandcharlie.com